Become a contributor!

This button doesn't work at all, but you're welcome to press it. And to contact me (Dustin), should you wish to become a contributor.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The first challenge!

Hello everyone!

I hereby announce the first ever This Blog Cooking Challenge! The name of the challenge is Coconut-Braised Beef. The link to the recipe is on the right sidebar. So start cooking!

Here are the rules for completing the challenge:

  • You must prepare the meal and send me a short synopsis of the challenges you faced and how you overcame them. Also you should rate the dish on a 1-10 scale.
  • The deadline is one week from the time of posting.
Here are some guidelines for completing the challenge:

  • Try to feed this food to other people. In this way, you can bribe them to be friends with you.
  • Take pictures if you can, at various points in the cooking process.
  • Try not to be a vegetarian, because then you cannot eat the food (in this particular challenge).
After the challenge is over, I will prepare a post with your synopses and photos. It will probably be epic.

I picked this recipe because I have never cooked beef before, and I'm scared of it. Jeremy Lin (the classicist/linguist, not the basketball player) sent it to me. He recommends using less lime juice, and more pepper. Thanks, Jeremy!

6 comments:

  1. Ooh I think I'll try to do this. Though I dont have anythign resmbling a food processor. I cooked (non-ground) beef for the first time last week, and it turned out really well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I don't have a food processor either :(

    But I really want one. The German word for food processor is apparently "Küchenmaschine" or "kitchen machine." Which seems kind of non-specific to me, but Germans can do as they please with their language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah, now I have to find coconut milk. And time to do things. And I did groceries and bummed around *last* week...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I only eat beef rendang once in awhile; I find curries and coconut-based foods too heavy. I'm sitting this one out.

    Plus, after I go to my cousin's wedding this weekend, I will be eating salads for a week (Chinese wedding banquests = NINE COURSE MEALS)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a real good idea, though ;)

    Other versions of the recipe:
    http://rasamalaysia.com/beef-rendang-recipe-rendang-daging/
    http://tamarindandthyme.wordpress.com/2009/03/16/beef-rendang/
    http://www.pigpigscorner.com/2010/08/beef-rendang.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anner is the first to complete the challenge! So now everyone else is behind the times.

    ReplyDelete