Become a contributor!

This button doesn't work at all, but you're welcome to press it. And to contact me (Dustin), should you wish to become a contributor.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Modified Veriohukaiset (Finnish blood pancakes--not for faint of heart)

Apparently blood spoils fast, so I had to cook the leftover blood from yesterday ASAP.  That ruled out cabidela, as I still have to work through the turkey au vin.  I wasn't interested in buying yeast that I'd only use once, so that ruled out blood bread.  I settled on sanguinaccio dulce, but then discovered our milk smells like cheese.  Buying milk just for one dish seems kind of silly (we rarely use milk in the house), so that got 86'd, leaving modified Finnish blood pancakes, aka veriohukaiset.

Here's the recipe from the blood recipes site I referenced before:

BLOOD PANCAKES (VERIOHUKAISET) 
4 dl (deciliter) blood
4 dl milk [substituted with yogurt]
4 dl barley flour [also don't have...]
1 egg
1 Tbsp dark syrup
1/2 tsp salt
dash white pepper [didn't have any, and aesthetically black pepper might be weird]
dash marjoram
butter for frying [call me a wimp, but I settled for non-fat cooking spray]
“Mix the blood and milk together in a mixing bowl. Add the barley flour whist constantly stirring. Add the egg, syrup and seasonings. Cover the bowl and set aside for 30 minutes.
Brown the blood pancakes on a greased pancake griddle (2 to 3 minutes on each side) and serve with lingonberry jam [I didn't have any, so I used maple syrup].”

Now for some pics!  This is step #1:
Yogurt and blood--deeeelish.
Now for step #2:
Yogurt, blood, flour, egg whites, and marjoram.
My roommate would be aghast if he knew this, but I deviated from the recipe: I added walnuts.
My grandpa claimed that walnuts are good for the brain because they're brain-shaped.
He might've been messing with me, but I've been fond of walnuts ever since.
30 minutes later, I made them pancakes!  While cooking, I might've erred on the side of over-cooking--I think I was a little concerned about the blood aspect.  However, taste-wise it didn't taste very bloody--maybe it contributed to the texture or smell while cooking.  I'm wondering if I should re-do this without yogurt, just to taste the difference.  But it tasted fine, and as my roommate said, "just knowing that the blood is in it adds to the experience."
I should've taken pictures of the less burnt-looking ones.  Oops.
Just tea-time at my house ;)

Future projects:

  • Belgian beef carbonnade, with parsley dumplings (that'll get rid of the parsley) and mushrooms.
  • Crepes for some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment