Become a contributor!

This button doesn't work at all, but you're welcome to press it. And to contact me (Dustin), should you wish to become a contributor.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

delicious lentils: story cum experimental recipe

Here is a story. The story is that I live next door to a schawarma place, which also has a convenience store of sorts. And while I was picking up milk at said schawarma place, my eye fell upon a can of Foul. Foul is delicious stuff--it's basically seasoned fava beans in a pita of deliciousness, and is maybe my favourite thing at the falafel place in Harvard square (and I've tried a lot of their things). So i thought, gosh, delicious! Except that this, being unseasoned, was basically a can of fava beans, so I thought I would wait until I had some seasonings, like maybe a lemon or whatever. And then later in the week I actually did my groceries, but then it was too late to buy the can of foul. And today I would have, but it was snowy and I'd already put on my pajamas owing to my clothes being soaking wet from going sledding, and so I did not go get any fava beans. However, I then thought, who needs fava beans anyway? I have lentils! Lentils are so useful. They are cheap and non-perishable and don't need soaking. So, I decided to make a lentil thing. Here is what I did.
1. Cook desired amount of lentils, according to package. Side note: For once, the package didn't lie to me about serving sizes. It said a serving size was 1/4 cup of dried lentils, but usually the serving sizes assume you are a starvation artist midget who is also having at least three other items in their well balanced meal, so I made 1/2 a cup, but that was enough for two bowls. I was hungry and ate them both, but it's a word of warning.
2. Meanwhile, cook up a small onion and some garlic. I had about three cloves that were no longer in a bulb, so I used them, but it could have had more. I mean it was ample garlic, but I also really like garlic. Anyway sautee that up in some olive oil (onions first!) and when almost done add a small tomato.
3. Meanwhile, make yourself some dressing with lemon juice and olive oil. I started off with a 1:1 ratio, but that was wrong, so I added more oil, but didn't look to see how much. I think it was less than a 2:1 ratio. Maybe 3:2? Whatever. Season that up with some salt and basil and oregano and whatever you have around.
4. When lentils are cooked, add the other stuff. Warm. Eat.
I'd regard this as pretty successful, except that it turns out half a lemon is actually kind of a lot of lemon juice so I had too much of the dressing. So, yeah, don't make as much dressing. Or use more lentils.

Anyway I am kind of excited that I have found a good use for lentils! So hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment